Tuesday, July 18, 2006

night...

(bonus journal entry from my extra travel time last week...)

On a plane to London I read a disturbing book... "Night", by Elie Wiesel... holocaust survivor. I've read holocaust stories before, but this one seemed more real somehow. More horrible.

I don't know how the human spirit can survive such evil. I don't know how faith can survive that. I don't know if mine would.

I want to read the rest of his story... how he came back from that night. Real people. Real stories. They are the worst and the best of all...

That and an email from a friend yesterday are still ringing in my mind. He'd just returned from a trip overseas with his organization that rescues trafficked children, and was trying to come to grips with what he'd seen.

"God is there in the suffering..."

This is the thing – when there is such suffering and injustice in the world, how can I simply go on and live my life? There must be a way I can still make a difference. There must be a way I can do more, not less, with my future. There must be something God wants me to do.

Anything. I suppose it could really be anything.

Just not nothing.

:: The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference. – Elie Wiesel

No comments: